"I Remember you"
My autobiographical memories fit the general pattern described
in your feature (6 Oct, pg 3): I have few before the age of 5 or 6.
But my wife has many memories before 5 and even one before 1.
In 1980 she recounted for the first time a memory of being held in
her mother's arms and seeing a silver horse in the moonlight at the
side of their house.
Her 81-year-old mother remembered the 1934 ~ a horseman
repaying a loan which had saved his house in the depression ~ and
was shocked, declaring: "You were only 10 months old."
I have been trying to recall more of my early memories, I know I have more. But they are elusive when you try. They only seem to appear for me spontaneously when I am watching my son, or thinking of something else. If I actively try to remember them, my memory hits the usual 3-4yo cerebral brick wall.
No comments:
Post a Comment